Craft Market

2016 Craft Markets/Events:
Titirangi Village Market - I will be back in April 2017.

Wednesday, 19 June 2013

It's Handmade


With two on line shops, Etsy and Felt, craft markets, house keeping, 100 Days Project(?!) and what not, it's starting to get a little overwhelming for me. I have never worked so hard on my craft business before. I'm constantly thinking of my little business now and how I can improve it. It's creeping into my meditation practise as well, oh no! That's not good.

It's not easy (I guess it's not hard either). In my first craft market in Auckland last month I didn't sell a single thing. Nada. Zilch. I was sad, discouraged. Perhaps it's the pricing. Given the extensive research that I have done, my items are still under priced. Yes, it's true. This is where spreading the awareness is important - It's handmade, I run the business on my own from A-Z. Thinking, planning, creating, researching, sourcing for supplies(for best quality/price), photo taking, editing, listing, tagging each items, re-shooting photos (if it's bleh!), book keeping, etc. ect. Supplies aren't cheap and i have to cut the papers myself to cut the cost. This is not a hobby, this is my business and I am doing this so I can  have an income to support my life here. If you're a crafter you'll understand, if you're not, I hope this gives you a picture of what it is really like behind the scene and appreciate when you buy handmade goods. You're supporting someone who loves what she does so that she can have that little extra dollars to buy more supplies and maybe a nice item from her wish list.

I LOVE what I do. I will continue to strive and work on ways to keep this business. I am keeping a motto right now that I call the 3Ps - Persevere, Patient and Positive. When I was down after the first market, I stumbled upon this video which has inspired me to keep on going.

The second craft market, I fair just wee bit better. I sold one mini journal and some necklaces that was in the clearance box. I will be putting on my creative thinking hat and see what I can come up with in the next few months.


I am so grateful that we have a lawn that I can go to to de-compress when I get too stressed out. Having Kiki helps too. I work alone and that suits me just fine. I am a sensitive and this is the best arrangement now. Not many people understand what being a HSP is like.

Next market -
Titirangi Village Market, 30 June, 10am - 2pm
Devonport Craft Market, 7 July, 10am - 2pm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.